With Cymru making history by reaching the FIFA Women’s World Cup Play-Offs for the first time, here are the next steps in terms of the draw process and fixture information.
- The nine teams which finished in second place in their Qualifying Round groups are given a play-off spot.
- The play-offs consist of a semi-final and final, both one legs.
- The matches are played on Thursday 6 October and Tuesday 11 October, with UEFA deciding on a kick off time.
- Based on performances in the Qualifying Round, the three top seeded teams are given a bye to the final, whilst the remaining six teams will be entered into the semi-final draw. Cymru have been seeded in 8th place and will be entered into the semi-final draw. Other teams in the draw are Austria, Belgium, Scotland, Portugal and Bosnia & Herzegovina in the semi-final, and Switzerland, Iceland and the Republic of Ireland in the final.
- From the three final winners, the two highest seeded teams will qualify for the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup. The third seeded side will be entered into an Inter-Confederation Play-Off, which will take place in New Zealand in February 2023.
- The draw will take place at 12:30 BST on Friday 9 September in UEFA’s Headquarters in Nyon, Switzerland.
- The draw can be watched live on the UEFA website.
- Home and away sides for the semi-final and final will also be decided as part of the draw.
- Gemma Grainger and a delegation from the FAW will be present for the draw.
Venue and Ticket Process
- In the event of Cymru being given a home tie (semi-final, potential final, or both), the FAW will look at announcing a venue and an on-sale time as close to the draw as possible. This will be pending final confirmation of the venue and agreement of kick-off time with UEFA.
- If Cymru are given a potential home tie for the play-off final, tickets will go on sale as close to the draw as possible, and full refunds will be offered should we fail to reach the final in line with the FAW’s Refund Policy.
- If Cymru are given away ties for either the semi-final or final, we will work with the opposition to agree a ticketing sales process for travelling fans and will look to release this information as soon as possible.